1998 - Journey into MS-DOS and GW-BASIC

#History

XT8086-GWBASIC.png
Picture from Internet

Embark on a nostalgic journey to the year 1998, a pivotal chapter in my professional evolution where I transitioned from Mallard Basic to the realms of MS-DOS 6.22 and GW-BASIC. Picture an XT 8086 machine as the canvas for my coding endeavors, accompanied by a distinctive Hercules monochromatic orange monitor against a backdrop of deep black. In this environment, I delved into the intricacies of MS-DOS and explored the capabilities of GW-BASIC, marking a significant stride in my programming odyssey. Join me as we revisit this era of text-based interfaces and foundational coding experiences that paved the way for further technological exploration.

Venturing into the realm of GW-BASIC in 1998 marked a significant shift in my programming landscape. Unlike its predecessor, Mallard BASIC, GW-BASIC brought a new level of flexibility to code editing. Its more advanced capabilities allowed for a more dynamic and versatile coding experience, while still retaining the command-driven nature intrinsic to BASIC languages. This transition coincided with a move to a PC environment, a departure from the Amstrad PCW. The XT 8086 machine, coupled with MS-DOS 6.22, provided a platform compatible with IBM standards, opening doors to broader compatibility and expanding the horizons of my programming exploration.